November 26, 2007

Giving Thanks. Making Memories.

Last week was Thanksgiving Week. The kids were out most of the week AND I had a writing deadline (which I met, thank you). So you can imagine how thankful I am to be sitting at the keyboard this morning knowing that I will finally have a one day of leisure and quiet. Can you hear my heels clicking?

But seriously, I am thankful to be a mom and a writer. It's always a tricky balancing act trying to pull both off successfully. I find I have to redefine success. And I have to depend on others to pitch in. Some things have to go undone (at least for a while). And some things might not need to be done at all. I sometimes wonder what my kids will remember.

Last Thursday, the kids helped me make cookies. We usually do a good deal of baking this time of year. Muffins. Cookies. Nut breads. So getting all covered with flour and licking sugar crystals off the table is normal for me and my boys. My oldest (9 yo) helped out the most. I let him roll the dough and use cookie cutters. He's got a long way to go in the gentle department, though. *grin*

After Thanksgiving dinner we decorated our cookies with frosting, sprinkles, and little candies. My four-year-old looked up and said 'this is the best Thanksgiving ever.' I smiled and gave him a hug. It well worth the mess we made. We made a memory together. That's what holidays together is all about.

No comments: