November 5, 2007

Let's Celebrate Adoption

November is National Adoption Month. So as an adoptive mom and an advocate for adoption, I'd like to take a break from my regular posting on race and faith to blog on adopting, being adopted, and thoughts about adoption. The main focus will be how adoption/adopting affects the believers' faith journey and the relationship with a loving Adoptive Father in heaven.

Just so you'll be warned, I won't be doing all the 'talking' this month. But since I am an adoptive mom and it's my blog, I thought it would be okay if I go first.

I have so many 'instant mom' stories to relate but one stands out this month. It involves my grandmother. I think it fitting that I should relate this one since my grandmother, Mary Honablew, died on November 2, the day I meant to post this originally.

At any rate, my husband and I were anxious to have the family meet our sweet little baby boy. My mom knew about my struggles with infertility and our decision to adopt but I hadn't talked to my grandmother. How can you explain not being able to conceive with a woman who had given birth to 12 children?

Our little one was just over a month old when we took him home to meet the folks that first time. No one had seen pictures of him and by their reactions I think it was a surprise to them to see how much he resembled my very dark-skinned husband.

No one dared say anything about the resemblance until my grandmother leaned in close, looked my husband in the eye and said, 'You sure you didn't have anything to do with this baby?'

Yes, my grandmother was one to speak her mind. She's be greatly missed. In a way, though, I see a lot of her in the adopted great grandson she took under her wing. God is funny that way, sometimes. He has not ceased with His little adoption surprises, replacing my fears with faith (and a laugh or two), reminding me that I can trust Him, even when I can't understand. I've stopped asking 'why me.' He's turned it into 'why not me?'

Have a great month. Feel free to email your stories of adoption and faith to linda[at]llhargrove.com

Thanks.

1 comment:

Laura Christianson said...

Linda,

I love what you're doing to celebrate National Adoption Month. I'd be happy to contribute a guest column to your blog sometime, or to chat with you about my two new adoption-related books.

Laura Christianson
Adoptive mom of two
Exploring Adoption blogger
www.exploringadoptionblog.com